1. Describe the structure of the DNA molecule
2. If the sequence of bases on one stand of the molecule is AAC TGC CCG, what is the sequence on the complementary strand?
3. During DNA replication, what enzyme breaks the hydrogen bonds between the base pairs, and what enzyme matches up nucleotides to the existing ones on the parent strand of DNA?
4. Why is this type of replication called Semi Conservative?
5. How is RNA different from DNA?
6. The production of messenger RNA from DNA is called ________, and this happens in the __________ of the cell.
7. mRNA gets a cap and a tail prior to being read by the ribosome. What is the function of the cap and tail?
8. If the DNA strand being copied had this sequence: ACT GGC ATA CTA what would the sequence of the mRNA be?
9. The function of transfer RNA is ?
10. What is the name of the enzyme that produces RNA from DNA?
11. If the sequence of DNA is the same in your body cells, why are all cells not the same?
12. The DNA in you, an earthworm, and a fungus is the same. So why are you a human and not an earthworm?
13. What is an anti-codon and where is it found?
14. The protein synthesis process that occurs at the ribosome is called _____________
15. What is a stop codon, and what happens when one is read in the ribosome?
1. What are restriction enzymes?
2. What kind of cells have restriction enzymes, and what is the purpose of these enzymes in the cell?
3. What is a plasmid?
4. How are plasmids used in genetic engineering?
5. Why does human DNA work in a bacterial cell?
6. What is gene therapy?
7. How are small fragments of DNA separated during the DNA fingerprinting process?
8. What benefits are there to inserting a human gene into a bacterium? What possible problems could arise from genetically engineered organisms being released into the wild?