Here are some questions about plants for your review:
Review Questions about Plants:
1. Compare and contrast the movement of water and food in plants. Include in your answer what kinds of tissues and processes are involved in both.
2. Xylem is functional when dead at maturity while phloem is functional only when alive. Why?
3. In phloem, what is the role of the companion cell?
4. Which of the following is found in gymnosperms, and which is found in angiosperms?
C. Vessel cells in xylem
D. tracheid cells in xylem
5. What is cohesion of water, and how is this different from adhesion?
6. What part of the root absorbs water?
7. What is the function of the anther in the flower?
8. Which of the following is where one would find ovules?
A. in an anther
B. in the ovary
C. in the stigma
D. in the style
9. Ovules are
B. spores that will become pollen
C. spores that will become eggs
D. immature seeds
E. pollen grains
10. In double fertilization the first sperm fertilizes the egg and the second
B. is only used if the first sperm cell dies
C. fertilizes another egg
D. fertilizes a haploid endosperm mother cell to make diploid endosperm
E. fertilizes a diploid ( n+n) endosperm mother cell to make triploid endosperm
11. What is the function of fruit?
12. Microspores become
A. the embryo sac
B. the mature male gametophyte
C. pollen grains
D. all of the above
E. only B and C above
13. What is the female gametophyte in flowering plants?
Here are the photosynthesis questions for review:
1. Which colors of light are most strongly absorbed by chlorophyll?
2. Where does the oxygen released during photosynthesis come from?
3. Why is water needed in photosynthesis?
4. What are the products of the light dependent reactions?
5. What is made in the light independent reactions?
6. What is the role of RUBP in photosynthesis?
7. What kind of plants use PEP and what advantage does it give them?
8. How are CAM plants different from others in the way they do photosynthesis?
9. What kind of organisms can do photosynthesis?
10. Where inside the chloroplast do the light dependent reactions happen?
Here's some questions to make those brain cells churn out the ATP!
1. What are the differences between aerobic and anaerobic respiration, and which is more efficient?
2. What are NAD+ and FAD used for?
3. What are the three steps in aerobic respiration, and where does each occur?
4. During which step of cellular respiration is the most ATP made?
5. During aerobic respiration, how many ATPs are made from one molecule of glucose in most cells?
6. What is the role of oxygen in aerobic respiration?
7. Describe how the ATP is made during chemiosmosis
8. What is produced by your muscle cells if there is not enough oxygen available at the end of glycolysis for aerobic respiration to continue?
9. Yeasts do a kind of anaerobic respiration called ____________, and produce ___________ and _________ along with 2 ATP
10. What are the important end products of the Citric Acid Cycle, and what happens to each of these products?
1. Evolution is a change in _____________ over time in a ____________.
2. What is a population?
3. What islands were important to Charles Darwin's thinking on evolution?
4. Biogeography is how living things are distributed around the world. How was Darwin surprised by the the biogeography he observed on his trip around the world?
5. While fossils support the theory of evolution, we can't rely on the fossil record ever being complete. Why?
6. How does the existence of fossils support the theory of evolution?
7. How did LaMarck explain inheritance?
8. What was the hypothesis of catastrophism?
9. While the theory of evolution does not indicate humans came from chimps, it does indicate a _________________________ between chimps and humans.
10. Upon what observations did Darwin base his theory of evolution by natural selection?
11. How can speciation happen?
12. What mechanisms drive evolution?
13. Evolution happens to ______________, while natural selection acts on ____________.