Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Population Ecology Review
Population Ecology and Interactions
1. Define resource partitioning and give an example of it.
2. How is logistic growth different from exponential growth?
3. How is a parasite different from a predator?
4. How are density dependent limiting factors different from density independent limiting factors? Give examples of each.
5. What do you have to know to determine if a population is growing or not?
6. Define and give examples of the following: mutualism, commensalism, social parasite.
7. What are common strategies predators use to capture prey, and common defenses found in prey?
8. Draw a food web that could occur in your backyard or here at Cerritos. Include all the trophic levels we discussed in class.
9. Why are there fewer members of the upper trophic levels as compared with primary consumers or the producers?
10. What is carrying capacity?