Hello Biology Students.
Here are some review questions (and practice questions) for our last topic of this short summer session.
1. Which of Mendel's laws addresses homologous chromosomes separating from each other during meiosis?
2. What word (or phrase) describes each of the following genotypes? TT Tt tt
3. What is the difference between genotype and phenotype?
4. Two normal parents have a child with a recessive disorder. What are the genotypes of each parent?
5. Dad has AB blood, and mom has O blood. What are the possible blood types of their children?
6. In pea plants purple flower color (P) is dominant to white (p). If a plant heterozygous for purple flowers is crossed with a plant with white flowers, what proportion of the offspring will have white flowers?
7. Colorblindness is an X linked recessive trait. Susan carries the gene for colorblindness, and her husband is not colorblind. What is the chance they will have a colorblind son? What is the chance they will have a daughter who is colorblind?
8. In one species of flowering plants there is some diversity in flower color. Some plants have blue flowers, some have red, and others have purple flowers. What type of inheritance do you suspect controls this trait, and why?
9. Huntington's Disease is caused by a dominant allele (H). Mark's mother is heterozygous for the allele, but his father has no evidence of the disease in his family. What is the chance that Mark has the allele for Huntington's Disease?
10. The disease sickle cell anemia is caused by a recessive allele. Two parents who are heterozygous for the allele have a child. What is the chance this child has the disease?
11. What does Mendel's law of independent assortment describe?