1. Which mechanism of evolution did Darwin claim as his own theory?
2. Which evolutionary mechanisms reduce genetic diversity?
3. What is the key element of natural selection?
4. Which mechanism is the source of new genes?
5. While migration can introduce genes from one population to another and increase the diversity of a given population, over time what does migration do to the gene pools of the two populations?
6. What is required for any kind of speciation to occur?
7. Two related grasses are growing side by side. However grass A blooms and sets seeds in the late spring, while grass B blooms and releases its seeds in the late summer and early fall. What kind of isolating mechanism is at work here?
8. A donkey and a horse breed and produce a mule. What kind of isolating mechanism is a work in this example?
9. Most human babies weight between 6 and 9 pounds at birth. Those who weigh above 9 pounds, and those under 6 pounds at birth have an increased risk of dying compared to those who weigh between 6 and 9 pounds at birth. What kind of natural selection is at work in this example?
10. What is sympatric speciation, and why is sympatric speciation more common in plants than in animals?